These blondies may not look like much, but they’re one of the best things I’ve made recently. The base is fortified with whole wheat flour and lightly sweetened with maple syrup and coconut sugar. This creates a surprisingly tender and moist crumb. Diced pears and a smattering of chocolate chips are incorporated throughout for extra sweetness. A touch a cinnamon adds one more layer of flavor. These treats are made in a muffin tin (small or large will work!), which means that you don’t have to waste any time slicing. I prepared a batch on Sunday evening, and my roommates devoured most of them that night!
Whole Wheat Pear Chocolate Chip Blondies
Makes 12 large or 24 small blondies
Adapted from Hummusapien
- 3 ripe pears
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease muffin tin with coconut oil or butter.
- Grate one of the pears using a large box grater. Chop the other two into small pieces.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat egg. Stir in grated pear (along with any juice), coconut oil, maple syrup, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in chopped pears and chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into prepared tin. Bake until lightly browned and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes for larger or 18 minutes for smaller.