Happy week-of-Christmas! I’m heading up to my parents’ house tomorrow night. I’ll work from there Wednesday, before taking the rest of the week off to celebrate the holiday. I’m so excited for some quality time with my family, cuddles with my kitty, and a few delicious meals. Today, I want to share an easy winter treat that you can throw together on chilly nights. This vegan hot chocolate is made with almond milk (I’m obsessed, recently), cocoa powder, and some chocolate chips. Adjust the sweetness by adding more or less sugar, and even throw in some peppermint extract if you want a festive twist! I topped my mug with a large dollop of whipped coconut cream (see this post for the recipe), but even without it’s utterly rich, smooth, and chocolatey. Possibly the best part? In just a couple minutes you can whip up a single mug or a large pot for your holiday party.
Quick Vegan Hot Cocoa
Makes 1 serving
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat almond milk until simmering.
- Add cocoa, chocolate chips, and sugar. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until piping hot and ingredients are combined, a couple more minutes.
- Remove cocoa from heat, whisk in extract, and serve.