This passionfruit coconut mousse is a fancy and fun dessert that’s surprisingly easy to make! I’m not very familiar with passionfruit, so coming up with this recipe was a bit of a shot in the dark. But luckily, it turned out delicious. I was gifted the fruits, and had so much fun trying my first one. It was tropical, sweet, delicately floral, and surprisingly tart. The concept for this recipe was born when I realized how similar the passionfruit is to a sour lemon. I decided to cook up my favorite curd, and combine it with a whipped coconut cream for a light yet rich and sweet yet tart mousse. Both the curd and the whipped cream would be delicious on their own, too. Try the curd on toast or scones, and dollop the cream on a pie or even hot chocolate.
Passionfruit Coconut Mousse
Makes 6 servings
For Passionfruit Curd:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pulp from 4 passion fruits, about 1/2 cup
- pinch salt
For Whipped Coconut Cream:
- 1 can coconut cream, chilled in the fridge for at least 24 hours
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- To make passionfruit curd, melt butter in a double boiler or a glass bowl set over a pot of simmering water.
- Once butter has melted, stir in remaining curd ingredients. Cook, whisking constantly, until curd has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 20 minutes.
- Place bowl in the fridge and chill, stirring occasionally, until cool, at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make whipped cream, open can of coconut cream and scoop thickened cream from the top into a bowl. Reserve the watery liquid at the bottom of the can for another use.
- Whip cream with a whisk until soft peaks form. Add sugar, vanilla, and salt and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Once curd has cooled, fold whipped coconut cream into curd to make a light mousse.
- For an elegant dessert parfait, keep curd and whipped cream separate and layer both in glasses with crushed graham crackers or shortbread cookies.
- The coconut water at the bottom of the can of coconut cream is great added to smoothies or enjoyed on its own!