Today, I have another fun cocktail for you! What could be more appropriate for spring than an icy, refreshing drink featuring lots of tart lime juice and a deliciously sweet strawberry simple syrup? Making margaritas from scratch has been on my bucket list for a while, and I finally got around to it for my birthday party earlier this month!
This winter and the one before I’ve enjoyed family excursions to sunny Mexico. On both vacations, a cold glass of this delicious cocktail was a requisite, daily indulgence – either enjoyed on the beach, post-swim, or while watching the sunset from our hotel’s rooftop bar. There’s something so festive about a classic margarita that pairs perfectly with the laid-back, carefree vibe of a beach vacation. I wanted to recreate this blissful feeling at home, and set the tone for a lively and joyous birthday bash!
The basic ingredients for these margaritas are pretty straightforward: tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and lots of ice. For this particular occasion, I knew I needed to throw in some strawberries for a seasonal, spring twist on the classic drink. Earlier in the day, before our guests arrived, I blended up an easy strawberry simple syrup with just the berries, sugar, and water. As I made each drink, I topped it off with a shot of this concoction – watching it disperse and blend throughout the glass was part of the fun! So cheers to sunny days, fun cocktails, and a free and easy vacation attitude, even from home!
Makes 1 drink
For 1 cup simple syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila
- 3/4 ounces triple sec
- 1 1/5 ounces lime juice
- lime wedge, salt, and sugar, for rim
- 1 1/2 ounces simple syrup
- To make simple syrup, combine sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil until sugar dissolves, then remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Place syrup in a blender with sliced strawberries and blend until smooth.
- To make drink, stir tequila, triple sec, and lime juice in a jar until well combined.
- Run lime wedge around the edge of a glass and dip in a mixture of salt and sugar. Fill glass with ice.
- Pour tequila mixture over ice, then top with simple syrup.
- The simple syrup recipe makes enough for 5-6 drinks. Feel free to scale up accordingly!