I love a dish that’s refined, yet utterly simple, too. A plate of delicious burrata, a fancy shrimp cocktail, and the most perfect flourless chocolate torte are all examples of this effortless sophistication. These crostini hit that balance perfectly: they’re easy enough to throw together for a casual meal, with just a few ingredients, but the perfect combination of fresh flavors and the striking appearance make them suitable for an elegant party, too.
I recently served this dish as a quick and easy appetizer before a homey dinner, but the toasts really taste great at any time of day! When paired with a salad, the combination of toasted bread, minty green peas, and fresh ricotta cheese makes a delicious light lunch or dinner. Or, serve them with scrambled eggs and fruit salad for an elegant spring brunch. Between the fresh green peas (a hallmark spring crop), pops of mint and lemon, and base of rich white ricotta cheese – what more could you want for spring? Trust me, you don’t want to skip this one!
Pea, Ricotta & Mint Crostini
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces fresh peas
- 4 mint leaves, finely sliced
- zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices good bread
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 cup fresh ricotta
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add peas and sauté, stirring regularly, until slightly softened, about ten minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in mint, lemon zest, and salt and pepper, to taste. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, toast bread.
- To assemble, drizzle bread with olive oil, spread with ricotta cheese, and top with peas.
One thought on “Pea, Ricotta & Mint Crostini”
Those were so tastey!